From: Mike Zaitz
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 5:43 AM
Subject: Concentrated Load at Edge of Pedestal

I have a condition where I will have concentrated loads near the edge of the concrete pedestal under some latticed columns.  The pedestal is 4'-0" x 2'-0" with 2-W14x43 columns with the webs parallel to the short dimension.  The centerlines (parallel to the web) are only 5 inches from the edge.  For this case my factored load is only 157 kips but on other areas they will be higher.  I have checked the bearing for the concrete and am trying to find anything for verifying that I will not spall the edge of the pedestal.  I do not find anything in the code (ACI 318-99) that addresses this condition (other than the concrete bearing).  Is there something I am missing?