RE: Concentrated Load at Edge of Pedestal

Title: Message

Could you consider  this condition similar to a concentrated load on a corbel and analyze and reinforce it per ACI 11.9?

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Mike Zaitz [mailto:mzaitz(--nospam--at)hgbd.com]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 4:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concentrated Load at Edge of Pedestal

I have a condition where I will have concentrated loads near the edge of the concrete pedestal under some latticed columns.  The pedestal is 4'-0" x 2'-0" with 2-W14x43 columns with the webs parallel to the short dimension.  The centerlines (parallel to the web) are only 5 inches from the edge.  For this case my factored load is only 157 kips but on other areas they will be higher.  I have checked the bearing for the concrete and am trying to find anything for verifying that I will not spall the edge of the pedestal.  I do not find anything in the code (ACI 318-99) that addresses this condition (other than the concrete bearing).  Is there something I am missing?