RE: big dig structural failure - epoxy anchors overhead supporting gravity

Michel Blangy <mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com> wrote:
Bill,
Exactly what I was feeling whilst going thru all the posts. I would suspect
the overall design was substantially complete before the detail for the
plenum was thrown in by the Architect (would there be an Arch. on a project
like this?).

The early design phases of the project were overseen by the Massachusetts Highway Department (MassHighway.)  Large sections of the project were subcontracted to large engineering firms to design.  The large engineering firms in turn subcontracted some of the work to smaller engineering firms to meet MBE/DBE/WBE requirements, which were relatively quite high since it was government funded.  At the time, I was working for an MBE and we would be handed tidbits to design, such as 100ft transition sections of ramps, or short span bridges.  Stone and Webster was the prime overseeing our projects.

There was a set of standard designs, including especially the interior finish details for consistency.  Cast-in-place anchorage type and locations were included in these guides.  Their placement was dictated by another engineering firm (MassHighway, I believe) that was reviewing coordination and other general things.

I recall redesigning a 30ft bridge at least 3 times because they had changed the type of wearing course from pavement to LMC, or something like that.  Frustrating to say the least.  There were surely countless changes and revisions throughout the entire scope of the project over the duration.

FWIW, the entire project was modeled in 3-D in GDS (or was it PDS) something like that.  I am sure it was an accomplishment in itself considering it was developed in the 80's and into the early 90'.

Requests for changes such as epoxy inserts could have been approved by either B/P, or any of the engineers or design companies involved.  It depended on many variables that the investigators will have to wade through.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA