Re: Timber Frames

Gerard:

To answer one question in a short and sweet manner, yes, such connections
"fly" in California...for gravity load connections.  There are some that
argue that you can create moment connections in wood...I am not one of
them.  The point is that in a timber frame system (at least as I
design them) there is some other structural system (usually some sort of
wood based shear wall system, typically of Structural Insulated Panels,
but also many times with stick frames - especially in California).  As a
case in point, we are doing a timber frame in the Tahoe area (zone 3 with
HUGE snow loads so you end up with significant seismic forces since after
a certain point you must include snow load as seismic mass per code).
While I am not doing the final engineering for the timber frame or SIPs (I
am licensed in CA now, but we have not resolved some licensing related
issues that may [or may not] apply to me working for a company that is not
a professional design firm [i.e. at least partially owned by licensed
professionals]...it is an issue in some states, don't know about CA), I am
working with the engineer that has been hired to do the engineering.

As to the engineering of timber framing jointery (i.e. mortise and tenons,
etc), it is by and large using the standard NDS connection equations,
except with one additional failure mode (failure of the wood peg itself,
assuming that you are using wood pegs) and elimination of mode IV of the
NDS modes (this is a mode that involves two plasitc hinges in the
fastener/dowel/wood peg).  There was a short and sweet article on wood
pegs in timber frame jointery by Richard Schmidt , who has done most of
the timber frame jointery/wood peg research, in the 2006 March issue of
Structure magazine.  Also, the Timber Framers Guild (www.tfguild.org)
sells a compliation of timber frame design articles/reports on their
website that will help some.

And if you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.  This is what
I do day in and day out these days.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI