Re: PDF to DWG Converter - Thanks Vish

In my case, with the canned house plans, by purchaseing the reproducible plans they provide a letter that allows me to make whatever changes I want, even if the extent of the changes require producing the new plans on a different title block.  I have confirmed this with the designers that produced the originals and wrote the letter that came with the drawings.

If a company like that wants to stay in business they would have to allow that.  They add disclamers that they are not responsible for structure (for instance) and other items as it would have to be reviewed by local building departments.  If they would not allow changes then the purchase would be a waste of time.  In my case, their foundation and framing plans won't work, as the plans are for a single story home, and we have to add a daylight basement.  Also, due to site considerations we have to mirror the home and detach a garage.  They do provide services that will make the changes for you, but that would be rediculous on my part to pay the $5000.00 (which was quoted to me) to make the changes.  Then I would have had to redo the engineering anyway.

Joe

On Tue Jul 18 9:54 , Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> sent:

On Jul 18, 2006, at 5:46 AM, Sunil Thengale wrote:

> I had a problem of drawing a wavy corrugated shape Roofing Profile in
> short time. I just took a sample of the profile, sketched it onto an
> A0 size paper, scanned it into PDF file and then converted into DXF...
> DWG

Not to rain on the parade, but how much of this is copyright violation?
For example if a competing firm were to to take someone's design and
copy it as you've stated and put in his own title block would the
original engineer have any recourse? At what point is a design
considered a creative work that's protected by intellectual property
laws?

Copying engineered details was a big thread at several points in the
past. Has anything changed? Looks to me like the conversion makes hash
out of all the re-use provisions for engineering drawings. Once I've
got all your K-mart drawings all I need to do is send them offshore and
I've got a brand new design ready for a plan stamper.
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/