"Code Approval" (was big dig structural failure - epoxy anchors overhead supporting gravity)

I'm not trying to nit-pick your main point, however it is important to
note that ICC-ES is NOT an "approving agency".  They have issued a very
good explanation of their role
(http://www.icc-es.org/News/code-approval.shtml).  In short, they are a
non-profit, public benefit corporation that provides documentation that
products meet the building code.  The reports are used by Authorities
Having Jurisdiction (AHJ, typically local building officials) to aid
them in making the decision of "code approval".

I'm not as familiar as COLA listing, however, I'm fairly certain that
obtaining a COLA Report does not guarantee de facto "code approval" --
again, this is the role of the building official.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer
APA - The Engineered Wood Association