From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Footing Overturning in Rock

I'm working on the design of a simple spread footing bearing on rock.
The overturning moment due to wind is large requiring a large footing to
meet the 0.6*D + 1.0*W load combination.  I was wondering about possible
techniques for engaging the rock to help resist overturning and uplift.
Is it feasible to anchor into the rock to do this?  Are there other
methods to utilize the dead weight of the rock to help resist
overturning?

Thanks for your help.

Rich