From: refugio rochin [mailto:fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:42 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: OT: Where To Go In San Francisco ??

well i was looking forward to being bothered by the suggestions of
where to go in SF.

I live there a short while about 8 years ago.  When I was younger, my
father used to take me to Anthony's Seafood Grotto.  Is that one still
there?  Anybody?
Although that one was not walkable from where you are, and probably
best to take a taxi to.
I was a waiters on wheels driver in SF.  So that is another option.
You can order from anyplace in SF, and they will bring it to you !
Then you could probably go to Golden Gate Park or Fisherman's wharf,
and have a picnic or (somewhere else interesting like the newly
refurbished golden gate bridge if refurbishments been completed?).
Public transport in SF, is some of the best.  Most people use it, I
would recommend it.  Easy, fast, and reliable.  Although, past certain
hours, and there are less busses.
These are my recollections anyway, I would love to hear more about how
it is today.

Refugio

On 7/19/06, Caldwell, Stan <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com> wrote:

> Some of you, especially those in the great conservative bastion of
Northern
> California, have been waiting for years to tell me where to go.  Well,
here
> is your chance!
>
> I am flying out to San Francisco tomorrow on ASCE Business.  Starting
early
> Friday morning, I can look forward to three straight days of meetings.
The
> only scheduled fun will be a group dinner on Saturday night on Forbes
> Island, the "world's only man-made floating island".  However, I
arrive
> early Thursday afternoon, so that is my only other chance to play.
Where
> should I go?  What should I do?  What restaurants do you recommend?
>
> Background information:
>
> During the 1970s, I visited San Francisco more than a dozen times for
> business and/or pleasure.  Thus, I have seen most of the landmarks and
> experienced many of the drinking establishments of that era.  However,
my
> last visit was in 1981.  I figure that, after a 25 year absence, there
must
> be some new things to see and do.  What are they?
>
> I will be staying in the vicinity of Van Ness and Pine.  My only mode
of
> transportation will be by foot, or possibly by public transit.  Being
> Naturalized Texan, I am somewhat suspicious of the latter.  However, I
do
> vaguely recall cable cars as being sort of fun and the California Line
> apparently terminates near my hotel.  What is the best way to get from
the
> airport to the hotel?  Is BART a reasonable option, or do I need a
taxi?

> With respect to restaurants, my only interest is in seafood.  I
specifically
> want good seafood, as opposed to tourist seafood, like I remember
eating
> years ago at Fisherman's Wharf.  When it comes to seafood, I can only
> describe Dallas as "Fish Poor".
>
> Any suggestions you can give me before 4:00 PM PDT today will be
sincerely
> appreciated.  You can reach me at scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com without
bothering
> everyone else.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE, F.AEI
> Dallas, Texas (Inferno On The Prairie)
list FAQ
> at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was
> sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern
California
> (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* *