Design Checking methods

I would like to survey list members regarding design calculation checking procedures used on various types of projects.  Please email me directly at william.sherman(--nospam--at)ch2m.com if you wish to respond.  Responses can include methods used by both current and former employers.  Employers may be identified by name or only by type and industry.  Answers may include more than one approach depending upon project type.  I would like to get a feeling for typical practices used across the industry.  (If I get a suitable sampling, I will share the overall results with the List.)

Please provide a short description in response to each of the following four questions:

1.  Description of employer and industry (e.g., structural engineering firm, A/E firm, etc; commercial buildings, industrial buildings, public utility structures (type?), bridges, etc; approximate number of structural engineers in office or overall with employer; and, optionally, include name of employer):

2.  How are structural design checking policies determined for projects?  (e.g., set by client, company policy, by individual PE, etc; typical for all projects or varies by project?):

3.  What level of checking is performed for structural design calculations?  (e.g., detailed number-by-number check by another engineer; conceptual review of calculation approach and results by another engineer; self-check by re-visiting calculation; PE review of drawing details with calculation review only where details are questionable, etc):

4. Relative to the time spent developing the design calculations, how much time is spent checking the calculations (percentage)?:

5.  For a complete structural system (e.g., building with roof, walls, vertical and lateral load systems, etc), how often are design errors encountered?  (e.g., always, most of the time, occasionally, rarely, etc.).  And how significant are the errors typically?  (e.g., potentially serious with design changes, moderate changes to meet letter of the code; minor corrections):

Thank you in advance for any responses provided!

Bill
William Sherman - CH2M HILL / Denver
Structural Technology Discipline Leader
- Civil / Federal Engineering Group (EPC/EDG)
william.sherman(--nospam--at)ch2m.com
720.286.2792