RE: Wood post limitations

From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 1:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wood post limitations

Since I only see them already in place, I', looking for legitimate reasons to direct owners/contractors to remove and replace them with steel.

I think this is a legitimate question, but consider:

They use treated wood piles all the time in marine and littoral environments. These are certainly driven into the ground, and the only time I’ve seen problems is in the tidal regions in shallow marine areas where the shipworms love to nibble.