From: wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:07 AM
Subject: Wood post limitations

I occasionally see 6x6 treated posts used as free-standing main carrying posts in residential and light commercial construction.  They are arguably sound at this moment in time but I worry about future splitting, twisting and even eventual deterioration.  Today, I found some in a new country store type of building where they extend through the slab to the footing.  (The tops weren't even cut level so the supported glulam was listing about 1/2" to the side, but that's another matter...)

Are there any practical limitations to these members such as maximum height, required connections top and bottom, etc?

Since I only see them already in place, I', looking for legitimate reasons to direct owners/contractors to remove and replace them with steel.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA