From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:18 AM
To: SEAINT Listserv
Subject: OT: Where To Go In San Francisco ??

Some of you, especially those in the great conservative bastion of Northern California, have been waiting for years to tell me where to go.  Well, here is your chance!

I am flying out to San Francisco tomorrow on ASCE Business.  Starting early Friday morning, I can look forward to three straight days of meetings.  The only scheduled fun will be a group dinner on Saturday night on Forbes Island, the "world's only man-made floating island".  However, I arrive early Thursday afternoon, so that is my only other chance to play.  Where should I go?  What should I do?  What restaurants do you recommend?

Background information:

During the 1970s, I visited San Francisco more than a dozen times for business and/or pleasure.  Thus, I have seen most of the landmarks and experienced many of the drinking establishments of that era.  However, my last visit was in 1981.  I figure that, after a 25 year absence, there must be some new things to see and do.  What are they?

I will be staying in the vicinity of Van Ness and Pine.  My only mode of transportation will be by foot, or possibly by public transit.  Being a Naturalized Texan, I am somewhat suspicious of the latter.  However, I do vaguely recall cable cars as being sort of fun and the California Line apparently terminates near my hotel.  What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel?  Is BART a reasonable option, or do I need a taxi?

With respect to restaurants, my only interest is in seafood.  I specifically want good seafood, as opposed to tourist seafood, like I remember eating years ago at Fisherman's Wharf.  When it comes to seafood, I can only describe Dallas as "Fish Poor".

Any suggestions you can give me before 4:00 PM PDT today will be sincerely appreciated.  You can reach me at scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com without bothering everyone else.

Thanks in advance,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE, F.AEI
Dallas, Texas (Inferno On The Prairie)