Wind loading at overhangs

I'd like to get some opinions on the following issue:

I am calculating the design wind pressure for a three story house that has a roofed veranda jutting out of one side at the first floor, using the 1994 UBC.  I am inclined to consider the roof to be an overhang discontinuity, so that I get positive pressure as well as negative pressure, which is resulting in some pretty heft uplift considering that the veranda roof sticks out 8 feet.

It would seem to me that wind hitting the building would generate both suction and postive pressure upward, but I woudl like to hear if anyone has a different take on this.

Thanks,

Tiger

Terangue *Tiger* Gillham, PE
GK2, Inc.

tiger(--nospam--at)palaunet.com <mailto:tiger(--nospam--at)palaunet.com>