From: Mike Zaitz
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:04 AM
Subject: RE: Concentrated Load at Edge of Pedestal

Not sure I classify it as a problem or more of a concern.  The bearing pressure is fairly low  (as the loads are) and fall well within the bearing pressure for 10.17.  The concern I have is that with the column being so close to the edge of the pedestal; there is the possibility of breaking off the edge of the pedestal (bursting or maybe the proper term is confinement failure).  Something similar to the failure that can occur with horizontal forces in anchor bolts near the edge of a pedestal that does not have enough ties.