taking over work started by another SE

We have been asked to take over and finish a design started by another engineer.  The other engineer’s services have been terminated.  The project owner wants us to use electronic drawing files and analysis models that the other engineer started.  He has sent these files to the project owner.  With the time frame, there would be no way to “start from scratch” and complete the project on time.

What communication do we need from the other engineer to be able to take his design and finish it?  I’ve read something about this in state board rules before, but can’t find it right now and we need a quick decision.  The project is in Wisconsin and there may be a “copy job” following in Mississippi.

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE, SE

417-861-9865 (cell)

www.brpae.com