Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Snow Load + Seismic[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Snow Load + Seismic
- From: "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
- Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:02:57 -0700
2001 CBC section 1612.2.1 (LRFD)
- Load Combo 1.2D+1.0E+(f_1L+f_2S)
- where f_2 = 0.2 for roofs that shed snow.
- Load Combo D+L+S+E/1.4
- Exception 2 states that for Snow Loads 30 psf of less need not be combined with seismic loads.
I have a project with a 40 psf snow load. Therefore, the S value must be combined with the E/1.4 in the ASD value and I may reduce it up to 75%.
What I am not clear about is if the mass of the snow is included in the E value. I read this as Snow is not a part of Seismic Dead Load.
I have done projects in Alaska under IBC a few years back where I had to include 50% of the snow load as seismic mass, but the building department I'm dealing with does not state that in their webpage of code requirements.
what do you think? The structure is a residence with a simple 6/12 gable roof.
- Prev by Subject: Re: Smart Ring with W2K
- Next by Subject: RE: Snow Load + Seismic
- Previous by thread: RE: Manhole cap
- Next by thread: RE: Snow Load + Seismic