From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Snow Load + Seismic

2001 CBC section 1612.2.1 (LRFD)

  • Load Combo 1.2D+1.0E+(f_1L+f_2S)
    • where f_2 = 0.2 for roofs that shed snow.
Section 1612.3.2 (ASD Load)

  • Load Combo D+L+S+E/1.4
    • Exception 2 states that for Snow Loads 30 psf of less need not be combined with seismic loads.

I have a project with a 40 psf snow load. Therefore, the S value must be combined with the E/1.4 in the ASD value and I may reduce it up to 75%.

What I am not clear about is if the mass of the snow is included in the E value. I read this as Snow is not a part of Seismic Dead Load.

I have done projects in Alaska under IBC a few years back where I had to include 50% of the snow load as seismic mass, but the building department I'm dealing with does not state that in their webpage of code requirements.

what do you think? The structure is a residence with a simple 6/12 gable roof.

TIA,
-gm

--
-gm