Log Beam-Girders

Log home construction seems to defy neat structural solutions and I’m wondering if there are any design standards floating around. I am aware of the ICC draft standard on log structures, but as others have noted, there is little in the way of engineering and perhaps that is appropriate.

My question revolves around a log girder (supporting log purlins) which spans the width of a room. The girder is built from varying lengths of 8” logs so as to conform to the gable shape of the roof. Looking at this as a segmented member with horizontal shear transfer requirements seems somewhat crude. Any recommendations for educating this simple engineer?

Barry H. Welliver