FEMA-350 and 2001 CBC

A question for those practicing in California.  Is there anything within
the California Building Code that would require the engineer to design
his moment frame connections using the FEMA-350 guidelines?  I'm
reviewing a project where the engineer has OMF frames that he basically
has designed as pre-Northridge.  I typically use RBS connections for my
frames but I cannot find backing for not permitting his design.

Gary Grinstead
Plancheck Engineer
City of Stockton
(209) 937-5097
Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us