Re: FEMA-350 and 2001 CBC

Gary,

The CBC requires that moment connections be tested.  Most building departments accept most of (or if in LALA land; some of) the FEMA 350 connections as fulfilling this requirement.  Obviously there are other options such as providing your own testing or using one of the proprietary connections.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Gary Grinstead" <Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us>
07/21/2006 10:41 AM
Please respond to seaint
"SEAINT List Server" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
FEMA-350 and 2001 CBC

A question for those practicing in California.  Is there anything within
the California Building Code that would require the engineer to design
his moment frame connections using the FEMA-350 guidelines?  I'm
reviewing a project where the engineer has OMF frames that he basically
has designed as pre-Northridge.  I typically use RBS connections for my
frames but I cannot find backing for not permitting his design.

Gary Grinstead
Plancheck Engineer
City of Stockton
(209) 937-5097
Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

the views of the company.