Re: Crack Control: ACI 10.6.4

The z factor used to be used for corrosion cover in environmental structures, and there are other reasons for it.
Probably if you are below cracking moment, you won't have any problem.  But why not run the numbers and see what comes up.
I have run this one, and usually my spacing is far below the required s.  I am not sure if there are any tables relating Cracking moment to the use of this s factor.  This could be a useful correlation chart.
Note, this is also a service range, whereas most other calculations are ultimate.  so there is also a difference.