Re: Crack Control: ACI 10.6.4

if you are designing to aggressive environments, 10.6.5 recommends more to be done.  at this point, i might advise going to ACI environmental structures committee, where there are more criteria for these structures.  when i designed environmental structures previously, we used the z factor, which largely controlled our final steel design.  While the stresses in the steel where usually around 24 ksi, we sometimes had to increase the steel to meet the z factor bringing the stresses down significantly, and sometimes increase the size of the wall.  There was a limit on the cc used for calculating z, at 2", and sometimes we had cc of 3 which would make the z factor increase.  Limiting it back to 2" (in the calculation), made it a little more reasonable.
But see, here, if we were at 36 ksi, as says in the commentary of ACI 318-02, the spacing would be limited to 10".