Re: FEMA-350 and 2001 CBC

My interpretation of the '01 CBC, (or '97 UBC), is thus:

For OMF's design use an omega force of 2.8 to comply with Section 2213.6, item "2". I use this for the design of the members and connections, but not the foundation or bracing. (R is 4.5). This would be a "pre Northridge" design and detailing. The connection would be a "WUF-B" out of the FEMA 350.

I find this works fine for one and two story "light" framed buildings, and with 50 grade steel, the member weights are not excessive. This approach seems to work in most jurisdictions where the code is the '01 CBC, but is not allowed in L.A. City, etc.

Larry Hauer, S.E.