RE: Snow Load + Seismic

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:36 AM
To: ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Snow Load + Seismic

Knowing nothing of statistical theory I've always wondered how the wind managed to be strong enough, for a long enough time, precisely aligned with the very long and narrow Hood Canal, right at low tide ... to sink the Hood Canal Floating Bridge (in Washington State, in the early 1970s).  My understanding is that without all of those factors it wouldn't have failed.  I can just picture the original designers saying "What are the chances of all that happening simultaneously -- nil."  But I'll bet the designers of the planned new bridge will!

Likely one reason why, on “critical structures,” it is common to utilize a “wind rose.” All of the designs I’ve ever done assume uniform probability for wind direction. However, in the case of the bridge you mention, I wonder if the statistically probable direction of the high winds might not have been a factor.

(I have no knowledge of this, simply speculating).