Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Engineering Spec

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I use the term haunch to refer to beam-to-column moment connects which are tapered… such as a metal building system frame where the rafter and column webs increase in depth uniformly as they approach the connection.  Omer Blodgett uses the term haunch in the same way in “Design of Welded Structures”… one of my favorite references.


I would require “no haunch” where clearance below the rafter or appearance is critical.





-----Original Message-----
From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 9:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: Engineering Spec


I assume this is what I normally call a "bracket" or a shelf that the beam would bear on. Perhaps this is prevent interference with mechanical or architectural items. 



 -----Original Message-----
From: dave lowen [mailto:jatech(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 8:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Engineering Spec



I have a clause in a spec. that states ‘Beam to column moment connections shall not be designed with a haunch unless otherwise noted on the drawings.”


Can someone define ‘haunch’?


This project is in Texas if that makes a difference.



Dave Lowen

V 519 587 5797

F 519 587 5138

E jatech(--nospam--at)