Re: Snow Load + Seismic

An article in Building Standards (ICBO's magazine, now Building Safety under
the ICC) several years ago addressed the 75 percent reduction.  A
statistician-type wizard analyzed snow loads in (I think) Stephens Pass in
Washington state (400 psf or so snow load) and somewhere in the high desert
(Utah, maybe) with 40 psf snow.  Conclusion was that in both cases the
likelihood of an earthquake occuring simultaneously with full snow load was
so small that the 75 percent reduction was actually conservative.  I was
very happy when the local building official began allowing the reduction
after I showed him the article.  It's possible I could find the article in
my files, and at least give anyone who's interested the date it appeared.

The likelihood that your lateral force resisting system will not be
constructed as you designed is fairly high, unfortunately.

Thor Matteson
www.shearwalls.com