Re: Snow Load + Seismic

Thor:

I'm not sure that I would agree with the "statistical arithmetic" concerning the reduction in snow loads.  We are aware of the snow loads and their duration at both Lake Tahoe and Mammoth areas;  big snow loads and active seismic events.

Last year, a State of Nevada county building official informed me that we were to use 100 per cent of the snow weight during a seismic event, and El Dorado County is 33 per cent

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/building/Snow_load.htm.

Now Randy Volgelsand disagreed with me on the Nevada requirement, but I still used the 100% requirement on the particular project as it was equipment on a roof with four enclosing walls that would not allow a run off.

I don't know what the criteria is at Kirkwood, but they do get some big depths - say 20 to 25 feet, heavy enough to crush sill plates on summer residences at Silver Lake.  That area stays closed for a number of months and the area is rumbling almost every day with low level seismic acitivity.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
neil moore and associates
structural engineers

distressed structures investigations