Re: Wood Shear Wall Studs < 2x4

On 7/25/06, Polhemus, Bill <BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com> wrote:

From: Barry Welliver [mailto:barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:37 PM
To: Seaint Listserv
Subject: Wood Shear Wall Studs < 2x4

Anyone aware of information regarding shear wall construction with studs less than 2x4?

Well, I do understand that 1.5" x 3.5" have become fairly common…

Anyone aware of information regarding shear wall construction with studs less than 2x4?

check out the modular home / mobile home industry

Maybe APA has some info

as long as you can properly develop the sheathing nails, the shearwall should have reasonable capacity......just don't expect to use heavy sheathing (1/2 or thicker) & aggressive nail schedule (4/12 or 3/12)

a number of years ago we built a 1/2 scale structural we affectionately referred to as the "brick dog house"

We cut down framing members to 1/2 size "2x4" & "4x4"......... actual size .75 x 1.5   & 1.5 x 1.5
we also made some miniature HD's as well

We "nailed" the whole together with Senco N series staples  (16 gauge;  .0625 wire dia) Nailing schedule was  6/12.   We used 3/8 ply.   I think the thing was about 4' wide & 6' long & 4' high (I'm recalling dimensions)

we mass loaded it with about 2200 lbs of steel at the ceiling diaphragm

we tried our best to fail this thing on our shake table...even at acc of ~1g we couldn't break it.  We had to go back in & remove every other staple.....finally we fatigued the thing with repeated "fling" type input

A full sized wall (approx 8 x 8) constructed of undersized framing members wouldn't have the extreme stiffness of our "dog house" IMO because of scale effects but it would have considerable strength.

IMO the weak link / failure point would be framing members splitting from sheathing nailing; even a 6d gun nail is .113 dia..... a little big to be face nailing into a .75" member (that's why we used the staples)

cheers
Bob