RE: Wood Shear Wall Studs < 2x4

Aware – yes in manufactured housing industry.  2x3 studs are not uncommon.  I’m also aware of adhesive used between 2x3 studs and drywall to increase racking strength.  The factory quality control in this business allow for other than typical details.

In general, APA has not done tests on smaller than 2x4 walls, and I’m not aware of shear walls being construction for site built construction with less than nominal 2x4s.

In addition, some prefabricated shear walls that are sheathed with wood structural panels have finished thicknesses of around 3-1/2”, thus implying that studs are approximately 3” deep.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer
APA - The Engineered Wood Association