Excel 2003 Beta Testers wanted for MultiLat(tm) public domain spreadsheet

I expect to have a revised version of the public-domain MultiLat™ single and two family residential design spreadsheet available in the next couple of weeks. The largest change that will be seen immediately is that I have stripped out all ActiveX buttons in place of using drop down lists created in Excel 2003 (MS Office 2003) Data Validation and have placed all lookup tables on one worksheet. There is a lot to do, but this version will ultimately support the 2006 IBC and still supports the 97 UBC or 2003 California Building Code. I am debating at this time whether to include LRFD design or keep using ASD design. I will, however, start with the traditional ASD design methods and the 97 UBC fixing some of the problems that many have reported from the download on the SEAINT website (which was the first version of the spreadsheet that has been updated multiple times since). The newest version will be known simply as MultiLat™ 2007 and will be a flexible diaphragm lateral distribution spreadsheet since after experience with plan checking, I found that 98% of all designs I’ve seen in California are based on their Full-Compliance Flexible design or the more conservative Simplified Design method.

I’m not sure if the spreadsheet is backward compatible because of the history of Data Validation lists. I’ve only started to use them as a preference to get rid of ActiveX buttons. There are no macros, but I may add a macro to control printing functions only. The point is to keep it simple so that you may work with it as you like .

This version also contains instruction worksheets that will not only give you the ideology of setting up your model, but will explain what input is required, what is not required but can be modified (and how) and what information should be left alone as it can affect results throughout the software. I am also trying to create the new version from scratch so that the documentation of how load distribution occurs from the roof down is understood and to set this up as a close to a logical data table as possible.

The goal is to make this work for lateral design throughout the United States rather than in regions of highest risk and to give the user more control and more choices as to materials, tables of material weights, wall weight control for masonry, concrete, veneer and single and dual stud wall design.

I would like to put together a list of those of you who would like to participate in beta testing to help me identify the bugs before releasing a version into the public domain. If you are interested, please e-mail me a note at dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net. DO NOT SEND IT TO THE LIST AS THIS MAY CLOG THE LIST AND UPSET THOSE WHO ARE NOT INTERESTED. I will post versions for download on a small personal website and provide you with the link to the site and any password necessary when the time comes to post the first Beta version. I expect this to occur in the next two weeks. So please e-mail me as soon as you can and I will put together a list of beta users and a new e-mail address where you can notify me of bugs that you find. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST BE USING MICROSOFT OFFICE 2003 VERSION OF EXCEL. WE CAN TRY IT ON PREVIOUS VERSIONS BUT YOUR VERSION MUST SUPPORT DATA VALIDATION LISTS.

Sincerely,

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

C-41250 Exp. March 31, 2007