log homes/ steel columns

Steel columns and eccentricity:
For a shear plate with the center of bolt holes about 2.5"-3.5" ("a") off the face of the columns, depending on the size of the column, it can bump up a member size in my design experience or more depending on if it is a beam only on one side or another unbalanced loading condition. One thing to check is what your eccentricity or "a" input is for RAM. The other thing to consider is if you have balanced spans, you can use engineering judgement as to how DL may be balanced, and not all of the LL will be completely unbalanced (one span will not have 0 LL and the other 100psf, in most cases....)

One thing to keep in mind is that it is somewhat diminishing returns of increasing the width of the column as that will increase the moment, maybe try a weight bump-up as well....  Also keep in mind the effects of the moment on your anchor bolts, from what I have seen is on multi story bldgs they are oversized because the gravity loads cancel out any uplift.... But on a single story steel joist type system, on big TA columns in higher wind zones, uplift can be an issue.

Log Cabins:
Speaking of log cabins, how are lateral loads transferred at jambs of openings? Are vertical members used? On Discovery/TLC shows they just seem to cut the openings, and maybe put in a steel rod or something but it is not like a wood frame house where you have double king studs at the jambs to take that lateral load....  You don't see too many of them down here in FL, I probably because of the rain, humidity, and bugs...

Andrew Kester, PE
Lake Mary, FL