FEMA 350 - Bolted Unstiffened End Plate

I spent today creating a calculation template for the Bolted Unsfittened End Plate connection in FEMA 350. Going through the procedure in detail again brought up several questions:

  1. Should the bolts consider shear and tension simultaneously like
     you normally would in a connection?  See the new AISC spec section
     J3.7 and FEMA equations 3-18 and 3-19.  FEMA doesn't check the
     interaction.  Should this be considered empirically acceptable
     because the connection is tested?
  2. Can anyone tell me where the 3 in the bottom of equation 3-19
     comes from?  For the life of me a can't seem to re-create that
     term.  For those that are interested here is the equation: Ab>=
     (Mf/(L-dc)+Vg)/3Fv.
  3. Lastly, if I provide a web doubler, can I use a larger "k" term
     when checking the column flange?  We usually provide continuity
     plates regardless (good detailing practice).  But once and a
     while, it would be nice to get the help and leave them out.

Thanks,
Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT