From: bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net [mailto:bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Re: 3x4 Shear Wall Studs

I believe that APA publishes testing on plywood box beams that utilize 2x4
flat studs in the core.  I would think one could glean some idea of the
efficacy of a 2x3 shear wall from some of that testing.  Whether or not that
could convince a B.O. is another matter.

That said, I'd agree about the worry about OTM detailing unless you've got
some good DL restraint.

Don

    O.K. Setting aside the problem of tiedowns (potentially a major
problemdepending on the demand). The main source of deflection is at the
edgenailing & I think there are a couple of  computer models that couldallow
you to consider other edge members--if you had test data for
theload/deflection curve of  your proposed EN connections.  Of course
thenyou'd have the problem of convincing a CBO that your system was
capableof meeting the code's loading requirements.
Your best bet is as you suggested--try to find some actual test datafor full
sized walls under cycled loading that used smaller framingmembers.  Good
luck.
Chuck Utzman, PE

Barry Welliver wrote:

Actually,I?m trying tohelp build something beautiful.

Codeshear wall values have abasis in testing and I?m looking to consider
some of the parameterswhichhelp establish these values.

BarryH. Welliver