RE: Rho factor for wind and gravity loads?

From: TBerair(--nospam--at)technip.com [mailto:TBerair(--nospam--at)technip.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Rho factor for wind and gravity loads?

I think rho has to do with the energy dissipation ability of the lateral loads resisting system, and who says energy dissipation says inelastic deformations.

But the salient point is we don’t design wind resisting members with energy dissipation in mind, at least not currently.

Wind loads are considered in the same vein as any static load, and resisted in the same way under current design standards.