From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FEMA 350 - Bolted Unstiffened End Plate

I spent today creating a calculation template for the Bolted Unsfittened End
Plate connection in FEMA 350.  Going through the procedure in detail again
brought up several questions:

   1. Should the bolts consider shear and tension simultaneously like
      you normally would in a connection?  See the new AISC spec section
      J3.7 and FEMA equations 3-18 and 3-19.  FEMA doesn't check the
      interaction.  Should this be considered empirically acceptable
      because the connection is tested?
   2. Can anyone tell me where the 3 in the bottom of equation 3-19
      comes from?  For the life of me a can't seem to re-create that
      term.  For those that are interested here is the equation: Ab>=
      (Mf/(L-dc)+Vg)/3Fv.
   3. Lastly, if I provide a web doubler, can I use a larger "k" term
      when checking the column flange?  We usually provide continuity
      plates regardless (good detailing practice).  But once and a
      while, it would be nice to get the help and leave them out.

Thanks,
Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT