Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 9:27 AM
Subject: RE: Effect of swimming pool on retaining wall

From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 10:19 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Bill,

        Hold on there, Bill.  I don't agree with your last statement.

        If you have any shrinkage or swelling at all the soil adjacent to the pool may actually shrink away from contact with the pool wall leaving no support for the wall whatever.

With respect, I think you?re talking about what MIGHT happen. I?m talking about design intent.

I?m not sure it would be economically feasible to count on full structural support from the pool walls. Now, if the designer doesn?t make correct assumptions regarding the surrounding soils?or if the contractor doesn?t do what is required as far as backfilling?I agree the things you cite may occur, but I would suggest that it is cheaper to put ?good stuff? in for the soils than to provide a concrete shell to fully resist the loads.