RE: Effect of swimming pool on retaining wall

From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 12:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Effect of swimming pool on retaining wall

        If one were designing a 50 meter by 12 lane competition pool one would almost certainly design under drainage (with backup probably) to resist buoyancy.

We have a guy here in our office who in a previous life was employed by a world-renowned “aquatics contractor,” a European firm that went all over the place building these lavish “aquatics venues” (they would scoff to hear them called “swimming pools”).

In a presentation he made a couple of months back (sort of a “what I did last summer” kind of thing) one of the things that I found most fascinating was the concept of a “surge tank”. When you have a passel of folks jump into a pool all at once (as is the case with competition swimming and diving events, e.g.) the water needs to go somewhere other than all over the surrounding deck.

The complexity of these “aquatics” systems is truly amazing to behold.

Google ‘em and see.