holdowns in stem walls

List,

Anyone know of a procedure to calc a holdown (say 15+ kips) in a concrete stem wall, such as a retaining wall?

Is there validity to using the regular rebar lap splice eqn to develop the stress from the all thread rod to vertical rebar embedded into the larger foundation below?

Without using that procedure, can you count on shear from dowel action of horizontal bar, if so, how do you calculate that?  I have seen some empirical data but I haven’t seen a way to calculate this.  Also, other requirements such as ties, similar to small stirrups – a good idea?

Thanks!

Truitt