Re: Effect of swimming pool on retaining wall

It sounds like the pool water surface is at level of the top of the retaining wall. If this is correct I would think you should be concerned about seismic forces of the water.  Depending on the type of pool design, with an oval shape there should be no forces from the pool on the wall during normal (non-seismic) circumstances, i.e. the top bond beam resists the lateral forces. I believe you would need the wall to resist the forces of the entire pool moving laterally.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA.