RE: holdowns in stem walls

From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 7:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: holdowns in stem walls

ACI 318 appendix D formulas are for unreinforced concrete - somebody has borrowed our office code books or I would refer code sections.

Not exactly.

There are provisions for “supplementary reinforcement” defined in D.4.2.1, and the Commentary RD.5.3.3 mentions “confining reinforcement, such as closely spaced spirals throughout the headed region.”

In other words, ACI 318 App. D is pretty nebulous about the contribution of reinforcement, but it does recognize it. My take on it is, you need to make sure that reinforcement area is provided specifically for the anchors, not just count on the reinforcement provided for other purposes.