From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Vibration - Office Floor Guidelines
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:30:22 -0500

I am designing an office building, something I used to do a lot in the past.
My typical design for buildings that do not require a fire rated floor
assembly is to use steel bar joists at about 30 inches on center, 9/16
corrugated form deck and a 3 inch total slab thickness.

I'm using AISC Design Guide 11, ""Floor Vibrations Due to Human Activity"
and having a hard time coming up with a system that satisfies the 0.5% g
value for office floor vibrations.  In my study girders seem to have a
greater influence than the joists.  My girder sizes were getting extremely
large.

Are there typical slab thicknesses and joist spacing that others have found
that make it easier to meet the 0.5% g value? I know a lot of the vibration
influence has to due with the spans of the joists and girders.  Should
girders be having such a large impact on my design, or is it possible I'm
doing something wrong in my calculations?  Do others find that girders are
the main influence in vibration?  I was wondering if a different slab and
deck configuration, along with joist spacing is more conducive to reducing
the '%g' vibration value.

Thanks for your help.
Rich