From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 8:35 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: live load to resist uplift from snow load?

I was asked about using live load to resist uplift from snow load. The
situation is wood trusses spanning 30 something feet sitting on the
cantilevered ends of wood joists.  The designer wants to use live load so
that the interior end of the joists do not need an uplift connection and the
ends of the beam supporting cantilevered joists does not need an uplift
connection.

 It seems intuitive to me that you should not use live load to resist uplift
from snow because live load is make-believe and can be removed by definition
and the live load and snow load would not necessarily occur at the same
time.

I cannot find a code section or notes next to load combinations  that says
you cannot do this.  However, I seem to remember a local home builders floor
that started to bow up before  the 2 feet of stacked newspapers could be put
on the cantilevered joists.

Does the code allow you to use live load to resist uplift from snow?  Does
anyone ever use live load to resist uplift from snow or other live load for
that matter?