From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 2:32 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Lateral forces through deflection track

I have a project that has glulam beams and wood I-joists supported by HSS
columns.  There is a metal stud curtain wall that is also the lateral system
(wood sheathing with steel studs).  Generally we put a deflection track or
slip connection in so the deflection of the beam does not load the curtain
walls.  However, in this case I need to transfer lateral loads from the floor
parallel to the wall into the wall.  One option is to make the steel stud
wall a bearing wall and transfer the lateral loads directly.  Does anyone
know of  a product that will allow vertical slip but be rigid or strong
enough to transfer loads laterally?