Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

lt gage shear wall

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Someone already suggested using their deflection connections, their website is  where you can download their catalog. Someone already suggested that in the future the owners of the bldg may remodel and not realize the metal stud wall is for shear, and that is a very realistic possibility depending on what type of building and construction it is... Not knowing how much lateral force you have, what about doing as someone else suggested and plan for it not being there and just design it as an infill wall. Then maybe use diagonal rods/angles for lateral transfer, or maybe even modify your HSS to cantilever up and take the lateral force (flagpole style).... Sometimes your ftgs are already sized for this, you just need to change the reinforcement and bump up the HSS size a little...  I would go ahead and label it as a shear wall on your dwgs though if you go that route.
Andrew Kester, PE
Lake Mary, FL