Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Re: swimming pools

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
When I get that 'OVERKILL' argument, my standard response is "I'm waiting for the day I get that phone call from you where you say, 'I been doing this 30 years and I'm telling you I think we need to bump that beam UP a size.' Until then, shut up and follow the plans."

Having said that, I recently recommended some value-engineering on  a one story supermarket big box that had footings that were completely and obviously oversized.  I queried the engineer about his load estimates and the footings came back reduced about 70%. So mistakes do happen.

Don

Bill,
My favorite story is about the owner who came into the office yelling at 
me because I had cost him money and I let him vent ---steam coming out 
of his ears.  After 5 minutes, I asked hinm what was the problem.  
Apparently the footings were over-sized and he had paid money 
needlessly, and so on and so on.  Again after he cooled off, I asked how 
he determined the footings were over-size and at first he didn't want to 
tell me.  Eventually, he admitted that the ready-mix concrete truck 
driver told him that the footings were bigger than he had seen on other 
equivalent jobs!  That was more or less the story of the last month.
Gary

Polhemus, Bill wrote:
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca] 
> Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 6:41 AM
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Re: swimming pools
>
> And I go to bed almost every night wondering why I got into buildings.  
> It's not the design part; it's the having to deal with all the 
> people-architects, contractors, sub-contractors, drafts-people, 
> customers, building officials (especially building officials up here 
> with the new bs act) and even the concrete truck drivers.  Makes you 
> want to become a hermit.
>
> -----/Original Message/-----
>
> Buildings are a commodity, like cars (or toilet paper). There are at
> least two metal building manufacturers that advertise on the radio here
> in Houston, similar to what a car dealership does.
>
> People don't want to hear about "complications." "I've been doing this
> for twenty-seven years and I've never had to deal with ______!"
>
> I did mostly foundations because of the market here--most of the small
> retail-type buildings, even churches or daycare centers or whatnot, are
> metal building "guts" with frou-frou cladding thrown over. Architects
> and engineers are not required, and no building code applies. But even
> the builders know that they can't get bonding or a transferable warranty
> without an engineered foundation.
>
> But still, I'd have contractors starting up with the "I've been doing
> this for twenty-seven years..." bit, because I had this silly quirk
> about designing the foundation in accordance with accepted standards.
>
> I don't miss any of it.
>
> ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> *   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> * 
> *   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
> *   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
> *   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> *   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you 
> *   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
> *   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
> *   site at: http://www.seaint.org 
> ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ******** 
>
>   

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
* 
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ******** 


******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
* 
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********