Re: Lateral forces through deflection track

If the deflection track is the type with the vertically slotted holes, I would think you could transfer shear loads through the screws.  The trick is to provide the solid blocking or other continuity at the top of the studs so that the sheathing has something continuous to be attached to.  Maybe the deflection track could cap a deep leg track that is securely fastened to the wall studs.  The deep leg track doubles as the stud connection point as well as the connection from the deflection track.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stoudsburg PA

Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com> wrote:
I have a project that has glulam beams and wood I-joists supported by
HSS columns. There is a metal stud curtain wall that is also the
lateral system (wood sheathing with steel studs). Generally we put a
deflection track or slip connection in so the deflection of the beam
does not load the curtain walls. However, in this case I need to
transfer lateral loads from the floor parallel to the wall into the
wall. One option is to make the steel stud wall a bearing wall and
transfer the lateral loads directly. Does anyone know of a product
that will allow vertical slip but be rigid or strong enough to transfer
loads laterally?

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org