Re: Steel deflection track on wood walls

I can't picture how those clips could work where the wall is directly under and in line with a steel beam.  The Simpson clips could only work if there was one on every stud and no top plate on the studs.  The beam flange won't be wide enough to accomodate the clips along side of the studs.

That's were the deflection track would be a simple option, I just haven't seen it before.

The steel beam could always have tabs welded to the bottom flange to prevent the wall from falling over, but the erector won't be too impressed with that idea.

Jim

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
Simpson makes connectors to do just what you want. The use them under
long span roof trusses to allow the trusses lift and settle with changes
in moisture content. They also recommend the first drywall fastener be
(16? 18?) inches away from the wall-ceiling joint to allow the ceiling
boards to flex. The designations are STC/DTC/STCT/HTC4. They're made to
fasten to the side of a truss chord, so there may be some blocking
issues to contend with on a WF shape.

Jordan

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org