re: deflection connections

Jim:

Assuming your beam flange is at least as wide as the stud size or close, they will work fine. Take the clip upside down, PAF or TEK screw it into the bottom of the beam flange. The slotted part of the angle will extend downward past the top plate and fasten into the side of the top plate. Specify that these fasteners are not snug and allow movement. Put these on alternating sides of the top plate and design them for F1 according toSimpson diagrams and your out-of-plane lateral wall loads.

An oversized (long legs) upside down light gage track that wraps around the top plate, PAF into the beam and not attached to the stud wall, is in my neck of the woods very acceptable. You need to state the gap between the track and the plate so they do not frame it up snug. Also keep in mind how much deflection will have occurred by the time they frame a partition wall, IE, will there be a floor, roof, or other structure and dead loads in place by that time?

Jim wrote: "I can't picture how those clips could work where the wall is directly under and in line with a steel beam.  The Simpson clips could only work if there was one on every stud and no top plate on the studs.  The beam flange won't be wide enough to accomodate the clips along side of the studs.

That's were the deflection track would be a simple option, I just haven't seen it before."
Andrew Kester, PE
Lake Mary, FL