RE: old foundation block deterioration

From your inquiry and description, I am not sure what you are asking.

Depending on the nature of the of the damage and climate, soil, etc., my first inclination would be to look at freeze-thaw damage, I might look at sulfates next. If the damage is at and above the area of freeze, I would be inclined to think freeze thaw damage. If if is at any depth below the soil level, I would guess sulfate or some other contaminate.

CMU quality and materials of that period were all over the map.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: old foundation block deterioration
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 06:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

I'm searching for technical information on deterioration of old cinder(or cement) block foundation walls about 50 years old, but I'm not having much luck searching on the web. The deterioration is so bad in one area of this client's foundation wall that you could literally scoop the deteriorated masonry out of the bottom course with a bare hand.

I also browsed through Brown's foundation book and Newman's renovation book, but came up mostly empty there too.

  Thanks in advance,

  Jim Wilson, PE
  Stroudsburg, PA