Definition of Pier in ACI 530-02

I can’t quite get my pea brain around the definition of a pier in the ACI 530-02 document.  It states:

“An isolated vertical member whose horizontal dimension measured at right angles to its thickness is not less than 3 times its thickness nor greater than 6 times its thickness and whose height is less than 5 times its length.”

I have a “pier” that is 24”x28”x 30” high.

I see the thickness=24”, L=28”, h=30”

3 x thickness = 72”

6 x thickness = 144”

5 x L = 140”

The horizontal dimension measured at right angles to its thickness = 28” which is less than 72” therefore the way I read this this is not a pier.

What am I not getting here?  I see a “pier” as being the same as a “pedestal” in ACI 318-02, but the definition of a pedestal is clear.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.